It is important to winterize your irrigation system. It is just as important to maintain the your irrigation system during the spring. You want your irrigation in tip top condition for the entire season going into summer.
Here is a step by step guide on how to give your irrigation system proper maintenance during springtime.
- Close main manual drain. You can find this typically near the backflow device outside your house.
- Open your gate valve very slowly. This valve is found behind the meter in the basement.
- Check the main line valve and the backflow device. You need to look for leakages and breaks. If you find any, repair them.
- Check your system timer, look for the battery back up and replace it. If your system has a battery back up, using your manual, follow all the instructions allowing the system to check all zones for enough water coverage, leaks and breaks.
- Locate all sprinkler heads and remove any plant growth and debris. This could cause sprinkler heads to not function properly or at full capacity.
- Make sure the sprinkler heads match the level of the grass, so you don’t hit them while mowing.
- Sprinkler heads should be at least one inch from walkways and curbs so you don’t hit them while edging.
- Sprinkler heads should be spaced out properly in order to get maximum lawn coverage. If not spaced properly then fix them.
- Check for clogging. If they are clogged, unscrew and check the filter. Clean the filter with air or water. Be sure debris or stones are not stuck in the nozzle. If you cannot clean it, you should replace it.
One more small piece of advice. It is a good idea to check your system on two separate occasions during the watering season. Also check it if there are drastic weather changes in your area, like excessive rain or droughts. You can also call the experts at Horizon Landscape to properly open, maintain, and winterize your system.
Sponsored by: Horizon Landscape