Choosing an Irrigation
Your sprinkler system is a complex network of pipes, valves, sprinklers, and electrical connections. Because it serves as the circulation system for your entire yard, the design and installation of your sprinkler system is critical. This is a complicated process that requires specialized tools and equipment, as well as a strong knowledge of landscape design and hydraulics. This is why it is so important to have professional sprinkler installers design and install your sprinkler system.
The components of your sprinkler system will be buried and out of sight, but what you don’t see is what can cost you in wasted water and dollars over the life of your system. Once installed, you new system becomes a permanent fixture of your home.
The experience of the sprinkler installer you select to design and install your new irrigation system is crucial in determining the efficiency and long-term reliability of the system.
In order to engineer a new landscape irrigation system properly, expect the contractor you select to collect detailed information regarding your property including:
- Soil type
- Plants, existing and proposed
- Water Source, flow rates and pressure
- Sun and shade exposures
- Prevailing wind location
- Landscape contours
Professional Quality Parts
What products will the contractor install? Most manufacturers have different grades of landscape sprinkler system equipment:
- Parts for sale by discount stores for installation by the homeowner. These are designed to be price competitive, inexpensive disposable parts.
- Contractor components made to be inexpensive and easy to install to save money and speed up the installation process.
- Professional grade products made to be water efficient, long lasting and service friendly.
A Professional Sprinkler Installers
- Is the contractor licensed by the State of NJ to do irrigation work?
- Does the contractor have a NJ State Home Improvement License?
- Is the contractor fully insured so you are protected in the event of physical injury to an employee or damage to your property?
- Are the contractor’s employees documented and legally in this country.
- Has the contractor and employees been to manufacturers training to stay abreast of the latest technology?
- Does the contractor provide after-sale service?
You Get What You Pay For
When choosing from many sprinkler system installers, you should be wary of those who offer to charge you significantly less than others. Low bidders may not be licensed or insured and may often use cost-cutting techniques that can jeopardize your lawn and shorten the life of your system.
Watch out for these commonly used, undesirable short-cuts…
- Installing sprinklers too far apart: This makes it impossible for certain areas to receive enough water and can cause brown spots during the hot summer months.
- Mixing sprinklers with different application rates on the same line: This causes one area to be over watered in order to sufficiently water another.
- Not using special watertight connectors and a protective valve box: These components are necessary to safeguard the electrical elements, guard against short circuits and prevent corrosion.
Why Choose Horizon Landscape
We believe that your sprinkler system is not just a bunch of pipe thrown in the ground and that sprinkler heads should just get everything wet. Environmental stewardship starts with a well designed sprinkler system taking into consideration all aspects of your property. We are a Nationally Certified Irrigation Designers and Contractors. All of our systems are designed to promote plant health care, be water efficient and preserve your investment.
The sprinkler components we choose for your system are more costly than homeowner or contractor grade and are rated as Professional Commercial/Industrial. The parts and actual installation are performed to consider your long-term use of the system and what the operating costs will be over its life. Your system should enhance and protect your landscape, not be an expense in wasted water, dead plants and extensive service.
As Professional Irrigation Contractors:
We have been in the business for over 40 years and service over 1,500 clients.
Our full time office staff is available to answer your needs.
Nationally Certified Irrigation Designer
Certified Irrigation Contractors
Certified Backflow Tester by NEWWA
NJ State Irrigation License # 0015077
NJ Home Improvement Contractor # 13VH00630200
Our technicians are certified by the major irrigation manufacturers and participate in continuing education at Rutgers University, manufacturer’s seminars and in-house training.
At Horizon Landscape, we are sprinkler installers who serve Bergen County, NJ and the surrounding areas. Please contact us for any of our sprinkler system or landscape needs.